Sunday, July 6, 2008

Another sleepy, dusty Delta day...

Okay, first of all, can I just say that the heat is back, full-force? We have enjoyed a few days of surprisingly lower temps (highs in the mid-to-upper-80s) with lower-than-normal humidity levels, and it was wonderful while it lasted. I took advantage by roasting a chicken in the oven and doing some other "hot" cooking. As long as the temperature is at or over the 90 degree mark, I just refuse to turn on the oven... And today, it's ba-ack -- high humidity and muggy, hot temperatures -- ugh!

I made a pot of pinto beans in the slow cooker yesterday morning, with some salt pork thrown in. I just sprinkled in some seasonings -- garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, dried parsley -- and they turned out really good. Nutritionally speaking, dried beans are a much better "bang for the buck" than canned. These particular beans have 22 g/carbs per 1/4 cup, but 15 g/fiber, so it's 7 net carbs. Then, when you add in the whole "resistant starch" factor, I believe they the actual carb impact is quite a bit lower than 7 grams for a quarter cup. I had 1/2 cup yesterday, and I'll probably have 1/2 cup later today, and some through the week, too. They turned out really tasty in the slow cooker. In the past I have always made my beans on the stovetop, but I think I'm a slow cooker "convert" and won't go back!

And, before I end this post, I have to say I love the song that today's post title refers to...do you know it?

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */