Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving plans

First of all, let me wish everyone a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving. I’ve got to say, it’s my favorite holiday, because it’s all about family, and it’s not so commercialized, like Christmas.

Anyway, having said that, this is going to be a very different Thanksgiving for us. Traditionally, my family has always tried our best to get together at Thanksgiving – all of us grown siblings/spouses and our mom. But last year brought big changes to our family. I lost my older sister, Barbara, and my oldest brother, Larry, within four months of each other. So our family was basically halved in size. Our mom has dementia and has had a hard year; she’s really gone downhill, both physically and mentally, in the last year.

Mom doesn’t do well these days leaving the nursing home. Within five minutes she’s asking to go home, and she’s miserable (and we’re miserable). So I am going to see my sister and my mom, and we’re going to have Thanksgiving lunch in the nursing home. Mom will be more comfortable and happy and most importantly, we can be together. I’m leaving my sweet husband home, and he will have Thanksgiving dinner with his family who live nearby.

It will be odd, because Steve and I have never been apart for Thanksgiving. But I really feel the need to see my mom. I don’t know how much longer she’ll “know” me, so I want to go. Plus, I don’t want my sister to be alone at Thanksgiving.

You know, it’s hard getting older and having siblings and parents with aging issues. Life can be tough, but I want to make the best of it.

Again, I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you’re spending it with family and that you have a great day. I’ll be back in town Saturday evening, so I’ll check in after that time.

No comments:

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */