Sunday, June 29, 2008

What I've been reading...


I love to read. I've always said I could sit and read the phone book if there was nothing else available. So, here's what I've been reading lately:

I recently finished a good novel called Leota's Garden by Francine Rivers. As I mentioned in a post awhile back, my favorite book in the whole wide world is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. So when a friend asked me if I wanted to read her copy of Leota's Garden, I didn't hesitate. It's a sweet and somewhat sad story of an elderly woman (Leota) who is pretty much estranged from her adult children and grandchildren. She's all alone and her world has closed in around her, keeping her inside her small house, afraid and depressed. It's a story of redemption and hope, but also loss and pain. I cried when I read it, which is always a mark of a "good read" for me. :-)

I also read a novel within the last week or two called Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock. I enjoyed it a lot; it was a page-turner for me.

Speaking of Terri Blackstock, she has a series of books out, called the Restoration Series, and book #4, which I believe is the last book of the series, came out recently. I bought Dawn's Light off E-Bay, and am expecting it this week. The other three have been FABULOUS, and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well. If you enjoy Christian fiction, check out Last Light, which is book #1. It has such an original and unique story line.

Okay, so moving on from the Christian genre......what else? Oh, I bought the new "Stephanie Plum" book (Fearless Fourteen) this week, but haven't read it yet. I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are funny, irreverent, and I absolutely adore them. I never laugh out loud while reading a book so much as when I read the "Stephanie" books.

I'm waiting to start Fearless Fourteen until I finish my current book. It's called Alice's Tulips and it's by Sandra Dallas. It's letters written by a young (Civil) war bride whose husband has just joined the Union Army, leaving her on his Iowa farm with only his mother for company. The letters are all written to her sister and are filled with accounts of her daily life on the farm, making quilts for "their boys" (along with descriptions of the various quilting patterns they use,) and the all-too-occasional get-together of young women. She's a sassy girl, but you can tell the War is wearing her down. (I'm almost half-way through.) Anyway, it's a good read thus far, and I'm enjoying it.

I've started The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden, but I confess, I have not gotten very far into it. It's not the book -- I love his writing style. I had let Steve read it first, because he was interested in it, so I just haven't had an evening to really sit down and devote time to it. Maybe later this week...

So that's what I've been reading lately. I like Chick Lit, some Christian novels, and hate romance novels...
How about you? Any good books to recommend to me?

2 comments:

Vikki said...

I am so so jealous you got 14 before me....giggle. I'm reading Protein Power, It's definitely got my attention. I have the Omnivore Dilemma that I started had to put away and haven't gotten back too. Let's see. I have about a 12 Kootnz books waiting, and a couple more Patterson, though I am completely caught up on the Alex Cross series... Just waiting on the next pb.
Hope your Sunday was fun, talk to you later
Vikki

Patty said...

Protein Power is on my list to re-read one of these days! Haven't read any of the Alex Cross books, but I've heard they're good.

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */